Vale Park Bandstand – 90 years of free concerts
Vale Park was opened to the public on 20th May 1899.
The Band Concerts have been a feature since the first day, when the Tranmere Prize Gleam Silver Band played the crowd in with the National Anthem. Since then many famous bands have played in the park, including works bands like Grimethorpe, Fodens, Fairey and Cammell Laird.
The building of a doric-columed bandstand with a domed roof was opened on 21st August, 1926 and it provided a majestic backdrop to the concerts. The bandstand was built by Messrs. Boulton and Paul, of Norwich and the reconstructed stonework and plastering was carried out by Messrs. Crotch and Son, of Norwich. It is still used by the bands on Sundays during the summer.